Monday, February 7, 2011

The first days

So! I am here in Cambodia as a part of the exchange project Open Your Eyes, a cooperation between the international organisation AIESEC and Fredskorpset, which is a governmental body under the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (financed over Norway's state budget). The NGO I’ll be working for here is called SCAO, and it's located in the village Boeng Chhouk, 15 minutes north of Phnom Penh.


When I left Norway a couple of days ago, it was snowing in my hometown Oslo. Before leaving I took a few quick photos in my neighbourhood with my cell phone, just to have a memory of the norwegian winter in the warm and humid cambodian climate:



Frogner



The Oslo Fjord



Oscars gate



Vestre Gravlund



My street in Oslo





And now: my street in Boeng Chhouk




My new alarm clock





This is where I work 




This is where I live 




My sweet boss Samith 




 My cambodian colleague Sreylat and Norwegian colleague Ingrid




Laundry in a bucket

I received an e-mail from my mother today, saying that they were going cross country skiing. "We will trick/force your little sister to come with us", she says. Ah, the beauty of coerced winter sports. Pretty absurd to think about them in the snow, when I'm sitting here sweating in at least 30 degrees hot weather. There's no shower here, but a nice little bucket I can use to pour water over me. The animals I can hear right now around me are crickets, dogs barking, ducks quacking, a bird twirping and a gekko...gekkoing. Exotic! I wonder if there are snakes out there.

In our room, there is a shabby looking cat who refuses to leave. I've never been so good with cats. My family has a dog, and I think cats can be unpredictable and hard to understand. I tried to give the cat a special look, as if to say: Hello cat. I have not had my rabies vaccine. Please respect that. But the look can not have worked (it's probably different in Khmer), it spends all its time right under my bed, and sometimes jumps up on my pillow. I am of course just as surprised every time.


On the plane to Cambodia, I thought of a friend of mine. She is sometimes struck by the question, if all of a sudden I was on the North Pole now, what would I have done? What things do I have in my backpack that could help me in the cold climate? Maybe I could light a fire with my school books, or make a small tent out of my jacket and umbrella? How would I react to the challenges, how long would I survive?

I of course thought about my luggage, and the possibility that I might not get it at Phnom Penh airport. And what if no one was there to meet me? What was I carrying with me that could help me survive in Cambodia on my own? I had enough clothes from Norway, that’s for sure. It would have been useful to have my guide book to Cambodia, if I hadn’t conveniently forgotten it on my desk at home. I also got a nice book for Christmas about Cambodian culture and customs, but I ended up trading it in for a high tech mosquito net. Both because I was going to bring (but didn’t bring) the guidebook which had a lot of the same content, and because it’s heavy to bring a lot of books, and because I will admit that I’m nervous about Cambodian mosquitos.

I mean, what’s the use of being an expert in Cambodian traditions if you’re lying there itching all over, with a second round of dengue fever and a hint of malaria? You will regret it. So I had a mosquito net, a pocket with Norwegian money, my iPod, a medical book where you can look up different illnesses, some grenola and a book by Pierre Bordieu, Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. (A very intellectual gift given to me before I left.) I’m not sure how far this would get me in Cambodia. I would most likely panic, wrap myself in the net, eat grenola and look up diseases in the book.

Yesterday my grenola was attacked by an army of tiny small ants, I thought that was very rude and unnecessary. (They fortunately didn't touch A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste.) The Cambodians, on the other hand, are incredibly sweet people! Always smiling and laughing and being helpful and understanding. I think I will enjoy my stay here in the Khmer Kingdom very much.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! "Distinksjonen" som reiselitteratur? Heavy shit, Bianca :P Skjønner at maurene ikke orket å prøve seg (ja, jeg har lest den), selv om det så ut som de likte müslien din (så bilde på bloggen til Ingrid)!

    Og apropos Dengue Fever, så har bandet med samme navn noen fine samlealbum med kambodjsansk musikk fra 70-tallet (før Røde Khmer bokstavelig talt drepte musikkmiljøet) hvis du har lyst til å brife med lokalhistorisk kunnskap. Kanskje ikke like nyttig som de innbytta/gjenglemte bøkene, men muligens bedre enn ingenting?

    Nå skal jeg slutte å bable, men jeg gleder meg til å lese fremtidige innlegg, i hvert fall hvis du fortsetter i samme skrivestil! :)

    -Pio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nei, nei, nei! Du må ikke brenne skolebøkene dine! Da får du bare varme i noen sekunder; du må rive dem opp og bruke sidene som isolasjon under klærne. Det er dét jeg har tenkt til på Nordpolen.

    I Kambodsja kan de jo også brukes til å slå maur. Du må forresten ta bilder av insekter som er der! Veldig spennende. (For meg. Kanskje mindre spennende for deg?)

    Jeg tenker på deg masse, og veldig glad for at det er så fargerikt og fint der du er. Og en bøtte som dusj fungerer vel helt greit så lenge temperaturen er høy. "Hjemmespa" kaller vi sånt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Dear Bianca,
    I love the way you express yourself. I know you will do wonderfully there in Cambodia.
    Don't think about the snakes. And good call on the net.
    It all makes me miss Africa. I loved the bucket bathing. But that is in a distant life from here. I wish we could talk. I miss your insight on people and life. You are wonderful.
    I am happy you have your own alarm clock.. laf.
    I miss you very much.
    I will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing more.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete